Home Page

What types of SEN do we provide for? How do we identify & assess pupils with SEN?



What types of SEN do we provide for?

Young people:

All pupils at this school need extra support that would normally not be found in a mainstream school.

Parents and carers:

Dorothy Goodman is an area special school which provides education for pupils and young people with a wide range of learning disabilities.

Cognition and learning. All pupils and young people attending the school have a degree of learning difficulty. This includes pupils and young people with moderate learning difficulties (MLD), severe learning difficulties (SLD), profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD). In addition students may have one or more additional disabilities or needs in any of the following areas:

Specific learning difficulties (SpLD) such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia

Communication and interaction

Pupils and young people at the school may also have speech, language and communication need (SLCN) and therefore have difficulty communicating with others.  Pupils and young people with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) including Asperger’s syndrome and Autism, who are also likely to have particular difficulties with social interaction, are also provided for by the school.

Sensory and/or physical needs

In addition to learning difficulties many of the pupils and young people who attend our school have a sensory need for example a vision or hearing impairment or a multi-sensory impairment which requires specialist support and access arrangements. Others may have a physical disability that requires additional support and equipment to enable the child or young person to access all the opportunities available.

Social emotional and mental health

Pupils and young people with these additional needs may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties which manifest themselves in different ways but can include displaying challenging or disruptive behaviour. They may have a disorder for example, attention deficit disorder or attachment disorder. 


How do we identify and assess pupils with SEN?

Young people:

To attend this school you usually have an Education, Health and Care Plan. You may attend this school while your needs are being assessed if everyone agrees.

Parents and carers:

All the pupils at the school have an Education Health and Care plan or they are accessing the school's specialist provision while undergoing statutory assessment.

Once a child or young person is attending the school we may carry out other assessments as required. For example when a pupil is not making the progress we expect. If a child is not learning as well as we expect we will undertake additional assessments for example those which may identify a sensory need or specific learning difficulties or dyslexia. We also involve other professionals where we feel this is needed. Any pupil may have changes to their provision in school in the short term or long term if we think they need extra help in particular areas. We will always discuss this with you.